Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Prairie Villa Rendevzous

Every year my family has taken a trip to the Prairie Villa Rendezvous held during Father's Day Weekend in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Due to certain events, I was not able to attend this festival for the past couple of years, and it was very exciting to back with my family in this area. The rendezvous steps back in history to life in the Mississippi River village and encampment of the 1840's. Old fashion tents and teepee's are constructed and participants in outfits from that time period help to recreate a time period that had no electricity, no TVs, no running water, no indoor plumbing, and no computers. The festival is scattered with vendors offering food and goods for sale, as well as demonstrations of traditional crafts such as blacksmithing, pottery making, weaving, cooking, bead making, and much more. Entertainment includes games, story telling, music, and contests. During the first couple of visits to this rendezvous; my sister, Jessica, my mom, Bonnie, and I always got our hair twisted. These twists are very different from the ones you get in Florida because the woman actually glues them into the hair which lets them last for several months. We also always order Indian Bread: my sister and I get the regular with cinnamon on top and my parents get one with taco toppings. We also always visit a women that makes fresh squezzed lemonade and I always make sure to at least have one old fashion root beer.











No comments:

Post a Comment